CSEM, Neuchâtel / EPFL, School of Computer and Communication Sciences, Lausanne, Switzerland
CSEM is a private, non-profit research, technology and innovation center. Our division of Integrated and Wireless Systems, in collaboration with the HexHive lab, EPFL, is looking for a PhD Candidate in Embedded security.
We have a multidisciplinary competence in the area of embedded, low-power embedded systems, spanning the full stack from HW, through firmware, to communication technologies, embedded intelligence, and security.
This offers an exciting opportunity for a candidate interested in HW design, cryptography, and security to address research questions that are relevant to practical applications in the domain of low-power embedded systems and Internet of Things (IoT), thanks to the immediate feedback and guidance from CSEM's researchers and engineers.
- Side channel-resistant implementations of cryptographic HW accelerators, with an emphasis on minimization of overhead and trade-offs between overhead and security level.
- HW-accelerated implementations of post-quantum cryptography for constrained platforms. Investigation of alternative cryptographic primitives to PQC key encapsulation and signature schemes with lower implementation overheads, suited for IoT.
- Identification, design, and implementation of HW (cyber)security features for constrained embedded platforms for practically relevant security profiles, with an emphasis on design minimalism.
- Research on tools automatizing the design of side-channel- secure processor instructions and/or HW accelerators.
- A Masters (or equivalent) degree in Electrical Engineering, Electronics or Computer Science
- Good background in applied cryptography and security
- Solid background in HW design and resource trade-offs
- Solid background with programming in C
- Familiarity with embedded development is an advantage
- Fluency in English is required, proficiency in French is an advantage
For more information please contact Damian Vizar damian[dot]vizar [at]csem[dot]chYou need to apply to the EPFL, IC faculty's doctoral school by April 15th: https://www.epfl.ch/education/phd/edic-computer-and-communication-sciences/edic-computer-and-communication-sciences/edic-how-to-apply/
Last updated: 2021-04-02 posted on 2021-03-31