The EuroCrypt 2013 Rump Session will take place on the evening of Tuesday May 28th.
Rump Programme Now Available
HTML Version with links to talks as they become available
- Do you have breaking news, progress reports, or other topics of interest to the cryptographic community?
- Can you keep your talk short and entertaining?
The Rump Session, for those who have not been before is where people present breaking news, humorous takes on the subject, or more usually either present their paper which had been rejected, or present the paper they have just submitted to the next conference in the hope of influencing the committee. Clearly as we do not want the audience to fall asleep we prefer the first two types of talks.
To encourage people to submit humorous talks the ``Best Paper'' at the Rump Session gets invited to submit to the Journal of Craptology. So far this has not happened for a talk which was meant to be serious, but there is a chance.... Perhaps a serious talk will be invited for the Journal of Craptology, as this year the Rump Session will be chaired by that most prestigious journals Editor in Cheek Nigel Smart.
So to ensure the Rump Session is as good as previous years we require your contributions. To request a talk slot at the EuroCrypt 2013 Rump Session, fill out the form below before Monday 27th May 2013, 23:59 GMT.
Some submissions may have to be rejected because of time constraints; please remember that the Rump Session is meant for short and entertaining presentations. We are not going to have any TALKS related to any conference/meeting announcements or job adverts since these types of announcements are now well served by the IACR's online Calendar of Events and Open Positions in Cryptology web pages. However, if you want to submit ONE SLIDE for such events then we will display these during the break of the Rump Session.
The file-switching time before each Rump Session talk often seems longer than the talk itself, and often is longer than the talk itself. The EuroCrypt 2013 Rump Session will attempt to reduce the talk-switching time by concatenating PDFs and PPTs for adjacent talks. If you plan to give a talk without slides, or if you don't have slides ready yet, please prepare and submit one slide stating your name and talk title.
Online updates of slides for previous submissions will be accepted until midday on Tuesday. Updated slides will not be accepted on USB sticks or by email!!!
We will be using the usual conference submission software for submission of your Rump Session slides.
The Abstract field must be used to submit the following information:
- A brief summary (not for publication)
- We've found collisions for SHA-3.
- I can factor in polynomial time using a quantum dongle.
- I can use near field radio signals to recover the PIN number from all your credit cards.
- Alice will prove that Bob doesn't know Jack.
- Explanation (not for publication) of why this talk belongs in the Rump Session:
In order of decreasing interest to the Rump Session chair these are...
- Money: I have already bribed the Rump Session chairs.
- Will be funny: I really really promise/hope.
- Real Breaking News: Found this result yesterday in the pub.
- Partial News: Found this result four weeks ago.
- New Boring Stuff: The result has been accepted for some major conference you will all go to, so I can bore you twice with my result.
- Very Boring Stuff: Has been accepted for some minor conference none of you will go to.
- Old Boring Stuff: This result appeared at AsiaCrypt 2010, so let me bore you again with a 20 minute talk condensed into 3 minutes.
- Bitter and Rejected: The result was unfairly rejected from the regular program.
The Category field must be used to specify what type of contribution your talk will be.